Sunday, March 7, 2010

Oddities I ponder

There is a part of Ayden Jane that creeps in and worries me. Not the panic sort of worry just the what can I do to fix this worry. I don't know if it falls in the 'autisic tendencies' category, the two year old category, the Ayden Jane category or some sort of processing category. Basically, it is the difference in how she acts with unknown people and in unknown places compared to how she is with her family. She is just very quiet and will hold back and watch. She would win any staring contest hands down. She does not talk in theses situations. I have read that many other children with pws are the opposite of this. That they talk to any one willing to listen and would go off with anyone. Ayden Jane will wander off on a mission at times, but there is no stranger around that would influence that. She, for the most part, just does not care for strangers.

Obviously there is a part of that I like as a mom. She is definitely safer not warming up quickly to new people.... There is a part, though, that just seems odd when this happens. I can't tell if she is just taking it all in, or if she is just shut down beyond her control.

Occasionally we also notice the delay when there is too much going on. It is strange, though, that even with the delay, she will then follow through and knows just what we were talking about. For example, Jen asked her to get something and bring it to her. Ayden Jane was sort of frozen, I think just processing the request. 'What did she ask for... what is that.... what does it look like.... where is it....' Ayden Jane just stood there for bit. Jen then told her what they would do next. Ayden Jane stood there... then took off, got what she wanted, brought it to her and got in position for what was next. Just a pause in the action, but obviously took it all in receptively.

Some days I wish I could know what she would have been like without PWS for a moment so I could sort out what things to worry about and know what things are just her being two.

No comments:

Post a Comment